American Intercon School - A tropical learning climate surrounded by creativity
1. Please mention about the school and its mission/vision and various infrastructural facilities.
American Intercon School was founded by Oknha Dr. Mengly J. Quach on October 10, 2005.
Vision: American Intercon School (AIS) is a general education school accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport with a Khmer-American curriculum from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The school is making great effort to ensure its refined quality, discipline and services so as to fully contribute to the development of the community and remain competitive on the international stage.
Mission: To achieve this vision, American Intercon School has been implementing a wide range of plans from elementary to high school, including environmental, general management, administration, teaching and learning outcomes. In addition to the classroom curriculum, there are competitions, sports, all disciplines, seminars, and programs for less fortunate students. There are laboratories, computer labs, home-economic rooms, especially the use of modern technology, giving students the opportunity to exchange experiences between students. AIS also works with related institutions responsible for organizing study-tour programs to introduce students to natural culture, history, factories, enterprises, handicrafts and agriculture.
The school provides students with a good, equitable curriculum that is up-to-date on all subject levels. In addition, the school also provides services such as transportation, health care, library, bookstore, cafeteria, convenience store and other services that facilitate student’s learning.
2. Kindly mention the competent teachers and staff of AIS and their role in the development of the school.
American Intercon School has a clear policy for all teachers who come to join the team of intelligent, skilled, clear and talented professionals who have worked hard to actively participate with teachers in achieving great quality of education in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
Factors that make American Intercon School successful:
· Competent leaders and well-structured school structure with a clear vision for education.
· The school provides comfort to teachers and staff.
· Teachers and staff have clear skills and high professional ethics.
· Teacher training linked to practice with adequate materials.
· Open and encourage teachers and staff to improve their skills on a regular basis.
· Conduct and participate in many charity events.
· Providing comprehensive educational services and many available services.
· Provision of competitive salary, accident insurance (NSFF, Forte 24 hours), health insurance (NSFF and MJQE), scholarship and many more.
· Teachers and staff are hard working, cooperative and friendly.
· No corruption, rigorous exams, accurate scores, fair level practical student ability
· The school is spacious to support overall development needs of students.
· Regular collaboration between parents and guardians of students.
3. Kindly describe the various courses offered by the school and their important features.
American Intercon School offers a rich education through the Khmer-American Curriculum from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten
AIS provides education for students to acquire morality, physical development, memory, language balance and clear knowledge through various curricula such as social studies, pre-writing, pre-mathematics, songs, poems, stories, drawings, observation, English and educational games. In addition, there are extracurricular activities for young people, swimming lessons, life skills, creativity, study tours, sports activities, camping in order to encourage young people to enjoy reading by providing storybooks every week.
AIS provides education with a focus on integrating basic knowledge and include a child-friendly curriculum. Teachers have good teaching methods, experience and a high level of professional standards. Student counseling, health and medical services are available. In addition, AIS has modern learning environment with quality, discipline and service which encourage students to achieve knowledge, skills, creativity, living in dignity and ethics.
Junior High School (Grade 7 to Grade 9)
AIS provides education through hands-on experiments, study tours, research through a wide range of documents at all levels and specialties in libraries and on the Internet. AIS educates students to become disciplined students, responsible children, better friends and good citizens in accordance with the pillars of education; to have knowledge, experience, good morals and live together in harmony.
High School (Grade 10 to 12)
Below are some strategies which prepare high school students for college:
Motivate students at all levels to research online and through a wide range of documents in a large library equipped with state-of-the-art technology and facilities.
Inspire students to join competitions and participate in various social activities.
Students gain a clear knowledge of both science and social sciences to prepare for the general education degree and have the ability to continue to advance their skills and specialties in higher education.
Encourage students to develop themselves to become human resources full of ability, talent, morality and high social responsibility.
4. Please mention the steps being taken beyond the traditional curriculum to ensure overall development of the students.
The school has added extra curriculum, including:
· Life skills and elective courses with a wide range of options such as drawing, dance, music, poetry, home economics, handicrafts, physical education and sports such as karate-do, basketball, volleyball, baby football, table tennis, tennis, swimming and other sports.
· Computer courses with internet access, library full of documents for different levels and fields.
· There are research rooms, classrooms and labs equipped with modern and comfortable facilities.
· Teachers have a high level of professional standards, pedagogy and teaching experience linked to practical activities both in the classroom and outside the classroom, which makes students easy to understand, remember well and highly creative.
· Provide educational counseling, health and treatment services.
· Safe and comfortable transportation service.
· Study tour programs and training sessions.
· There are many competitions such as sports competitions and social activities, including charity events, fundraising events and more.
· Promote students’ ability to have courage, leadership, cooperation, ownership, seriousness, good health, solidarity, communication and experience.
· Encourage students to have sufficient ability in general knowledge, practical skills and English speaking skills.
5. What steps does the school take to motivate and develop the student’s interest towards education?
There is a clear and diverse curriculum, providing real and clear knowledge to students through educating students to become good students and better citizens in accordance with the pillars of education. In addition, the school is not only a nursery for students, the school is also a place to provide warmth to students by providing counseling for students with learning difficulties, especially those who are experiencing family problems and personal crises as well. The school has counselors who specialize in counseling to help weak students to improve and help solve problems for students who are experiencing problems of not feeling like coming to school to
continue their studies. At AIS, we have teachers who are highly qualified and creative in making their students enjoy learning.
6. How are you providing financial assistance to the students in need?
AIS provides financial assistance to less fortunate students who struggle to pay for tuition fees by offering scholarships. Besides financial support, the school also provides study materials until they graduate from high school and college through Mengly J. Quach Foundation established by Oknha Dr. Mengly J. Quach.
7. What are the career opportunities available for students after completing their courses at AIS?
The school generally has a policy that students from high school onwards or students who have completed 12th grade can apply for an internship at the school. Students who are still in school can work part-time and graduate students can work part-time or full-time to get first-hand experience before landing a proper job.
8. Please tell us about the school’s major awards/achievement, its accomplished alumni, remarkable collaborations, and major accreditations.
American Intercon School (AIS) has received awards and certificates of international standard from a number of institutions, including:
· 20th ASEAN Youth Day Award and 9th TAYO ASEAN Outstanding Organization Award 2014 in Bandar Seri Megavan, Brunei
· Outstanding Overseas Enterprise Award in Singapore
· Corporate Social Responsibility Award for Corporate Social Responsibility in Singapore
· Excellence Award 2018 in Cambodia
· Education Partnership Leadership Certificate in Hong Kong, China
American Intercon School Success 2005-2006 to present:
· Grade 9 students pass the lower secondary school diploma exam with a high percentage equal to 99% every year.
· Grade 12 students pass the high school diploma exam with a high percentage and many students get A grade every year.
· AIS students receive the Phnom Penh Student Sports Championship Award in all disciplines every year, as well as national, national and international student sports awards.
· 9th and 12th grade students received certificates of appreciation from the competition to select the best students in Phnom Penh and throughout the country.
· Winners and awards from national and international drawing competitions, math brainstorming competitions in various awards both domestically and abroad.
· Won awards and prizes at the National Children’s Music and Song Festival.
· Received commendation from the Department of Education, Youth and Sport of Phnom Penh for excellent work in school administration, environment and teaching techniques every year.
· Many AIS students have been selected by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport to represent the Kingdom of Cambodia, participate in many competitions and receive many awards and prizes in return.
9. Kindly elaborate the future plans of AIS.
In the future, AIS plans to establish more campuses in Sen Sok, Battambang, Toul Sangke, Chbar Ampov, Chamkar Doung, Siem Reap, Takeo and Kampong Cham.