2. Kindly mention about the prominent personality of the school and his/her role in the development of the school.
Our Principal, Zeba Masood has been at the forefront of Beaconhouse since the very beginning. With a career spanning over 20 years inside the Beaconhouse School System, she exudes confidence, leadership and most importantly, empathy. Principal Zeba understands the family orientated culture that both Omanis and expats value highly. She addresses it whenever she speaks to our students, parents and staff, going out of the way to make sure the needs of everyone is met in a respectable fashion.
It is not a far cry to say that she is the key embodiment of Beaconhouse Oman and without her the development of the school would not be as plentiful. She was integral in getting the Al Khuwair branch approved and allowing Beaconhouse to give our students grander opportunities and a more robust experience.
3. Kindly describe about the various courses offered by the school and their salient features.
Beaconhouse is an accredited CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) bilingual school that provides IGCSE’s and A levels.
The Cambridge IGCSE is designed to be suitable for students with different levels of ability. It is the formal recognition of a learner’s achievement at the end of a particular subject course covered during grade 9 and 10.
Subjects offered in IGCSE
Our brand new A level program has just started this academic year (2020-2021). Cambridge International A Levels is one of the most recognized qualifications around the world and is accepted as proof of academic competence for entry to universities worldwide.
4. Please mention what steps are you taking beyond the traditional curriculum to ensure overall development of the students?
As a school we are well aware that the traditional curriculum can only get students so far. Their hobbies and activities they do after lessons are just as important as the lessons themselves. To ensure they are exploring opportunities and interests out of the traditional curriculum we provide a wide range of after school activities that caters to all students. Just recently we’ve teamed up with Alpha Football Academy, one of the largest football organizations in Oman that provides football training for the youth. They’re partnered with Atletico De Madrid of Spain and Venezia FC of Italy and provide scholarship programmes for talented boys/girls to visit Europe.
5. What steps does the school take to motivate and develop the students’ interest towards education?
The school takes the approach of making education more interesting for students to digest. We do this in various types of methods. The School arranges periodic orientation programmes for our students. CQLP – Continuous Quality Learning, is one such programme where we invite expert speakers as guest lecturers for talks, seminars, and discussions on various subjects.
Another topic the school tackles is emotional and social support which in turn helps with their academic interests. The school social workers serves as a link between students, parents, school staff and the school district and supports teachers by providing targeted emotional and social support to individual students to enhance their emotional well-being and improve their academic performance.
A special Mentorship Programme is offered for our Grade 10 students for:
· Recognizing student strength & weaknesses.
· Assessing and evaluating the depth of learning in all subject areas to improvise on weaknesses and build up on students’ strength.
· Planning of Individualized Study Plans.
· Providing Remedial lessons.
· Regular monitoring of grades.
· Complete analysis of Informed/ Uninformed task, to target learners’ weak areas.
· Ongoing review of the study plans based on changing requirements.
· Continuous improvement.
We believe this mentorship programme also helps gear our Grade 10 students with the right skills as well as spark interest in their own developments and growth.
6. How are you providing financial assistance to the students in need?
During these unprecedented times, we’ve offered a multitude of discounts and offers to our parents and students. We’ve frozen any increase of fees for our existing student body, had various fee offers for students in all grades and made sure to listen to each and every parent’s queries. Our annual tuition fees for the new Al Khuwair campus were discounted up to 55% from March until September. We still have offers running for Kindergarten students as well as for students in Grade 8 and our A level program. Of course there are students in different grades that require financial assistance during these times and we deal with these cases on an individual level.
7. What are the career opportunities available to the students after completion of their courses?
Career counselors at Beaconhouse will be helping students in developing skills, explore a career, or choose an educational program that will lead to a career.
With career counseling, students would be able to know
• Their aptitude and interests
• Strengths and weaknesses of a particular interest
• Making choice of stream for education after class 10
• Career options available in market as per their academic choice
• Career options available as per their interest
• Some alternative career options if they decide to change their stream in future
This is provided alongside career fairs, parent workshop presentations and group counselling.
8. Please enlighten us about the school’s major awards/achievements, its accomplished/renowned alumni, remarkable collaborations, and major accreditations.
Throughout the years Beaconhouse has been blessed with achievements, accomplishments and accreditations with the help of our hardworking staff, students and teachers. The school has received the “Outstanding Cambridge Learners Award” for more than 4 consecutive years. Our most recent accomplishment came to us as the results of our IGCSE students. Our top students amassed a total of 50 A*. Our results were featured on the digital evening print of Times of Oman, and has helped boost our reputation in terms of quality teaching. We are extremely proud of our students and the teachers that have helped them get to where they needed to be.
9. Kindly elaborate about the future plans of the school in the same.
With the launch of the new Al Khuwair campus, Beaconhouse looks to grow its already impressive student body and welcome students, parents and teachers of all backgrounds and cultures. We hope to really solidify our place as one of the best international schools in Oman. With our new facilities, increased capacity and A level programme we expect to do just that. Although we are currently based in Muscat we hope to expand across Oman and deliver quality management, quality training and quality teaching across all the governates